What color to paint

Mercury Outboard  general discussion

What color to paint

Postby Boatdlr » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:48 pm

Good afternoon guys, been a while since I posted anything, Had to go back to a real job and time was short. I'm restoring a '57 MK55E, I've had around for a while, and not sure what to do regarding the powerhead. The block is original, and matching serial numbers with the ID plate so I know It's correct. Still has the seal on and has almost 140lbs in all 4 cyl.. I'm replacing all the seals and gaskets, but not sure on the correct color. As in the picture, It was originally Zinc chromate from the factory so, would it be more correct to do it in silver, or re do the zinc chromate? Have they been many that came right from the factory in green? Thought I'd get the pro's opinion.  Regards,  Dave
Attachments
IMG_4627.JPG
IMG_4626.JPG
Boatdlr

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Re: What color to paint

Postby ctpdsr » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:48 pm

I have run across a few 40 blocks from that time period with the ugly green primer. OK for flywheels, but I think silver looks way better. That is what they went to in 1958. Also - I would not even think twice about running a 60+ year old Merc without checking the crankshaft needle bearings. Way more important than the paint color. You mention "seals & gaskets"?. You have gone this far, why not do it right? Hope the crank is free of rust pitting. Also order 2 new end cap bearings along with those seals...

Chuck
ctpdsr

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Re: What color to paint

Postby Ram Jet » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:32 am

Boatdlr wrote:Good afternoon guys, been a while since I posted anything, Had to go back to a real job and time was short. I'm restoring a '57 MK55E, I've had around for a while, and not sure what to do regarding the powerhead. The block is original, and matching serial numbers with the ID plate so I know It's correct. Still has the seal on and has almost 140lbs in all 4 cyl.. I'm replacing all the seals and gaskets, but not sure on the correct color. As in the picture, It was originally Zinc chromate from the factory so, would it be more correct to do it in silver, or re do the zinc chromate? Have they been many that came right from the factory in green? Thought I'd get the pro's opinion.  Regards,  Dave

Be sure to use a good aluminum primer or your paint will simply flake off in a short while.  Zinc Chromate primer was developed during WWII for use on aircraft (it's a putrid green color).  Rust-O-leum makes an aluminum primer in a spray can.  Why paint the aluminum unless you run in salt water?

Bill
Ram Jet

1 year of membership

Return to John's Old Merc "General Forum"