Gaskets

Mercury Outboard  general discussion

Gaskets

Postby mercules » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:11 am

They are a crucial part of Mercs and just about every mechanical device out there; does anyone know how they're made? Naturally Merc's process
interests me most.
Let's fix it now - before we launch the boat.
mercules

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Re: Gaskets

Postby Tom Brockmeyer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:51 am

I believe gaskets are similar to other components like nuts & bolts, starters/solenoids, carburetors, in that gaskets too are vendor supplied components.
Therefore, Mercury's process might be "Pick up the phone & order more gaskets".
Lake Lanier, 30miles North of Atlanta, GA
Old Mercury outboard fan... Especially the fast ones!
Mercury/MerCruiser,  Evinrude/Johnson & VolvoPenta Technician (After my suit & tie wearing career was done!)
Tom Brockmeyer
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Postby S.B.Marsden » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:49 pm

when I have to make a gasket out of gasket material, my favorite tool is a small ball peen hammer, or when the parts metal is to soft to risk this approach,  then sometimes I can trace it out and cut it with scissors and or an exacto knife. When tracing is not the total option to get to the holes that need location, then we come to the reason you will find a tube of red lipstick in my tool box.  (dollar store works good to get it)  I coat the part to be traced or copied really good then carefully place the gasket paper on the part then press and rub real hard to transfer the lipstick to the gasket material to see where to cut.   When doing it this way I like to cut the outside shape first so that I have a way to hold the gasket in its proper place while rubbing it down to get the lines transferred.
S.B.Marsden

Postby Fingerlakeskid » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:53 pm

Syd- is that all you have that lipstick for?  :lol:  :lol:  Seriously, pretty good trick!
Stan Augustine

Mark 30 tiller,  (2)Mark 55, Mark 58A (2)Merc 200 FGS, Merc 450, Merc 500.  1950 CZT Penn Yan Swift, 1957 Alumacraft FD, 1985 Larson Senza w/Merc 1150,
Fingerlakeskid
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby creekrunner » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:59 pm

....I've mostly worked on K motors...and there was always a need powerhead gaskets....so I had a completes set of new .....made full size copies (many of each type) on my copier. I keep theme in a folder until needed.  When I do, I take the paper copy and stick to it the appropriate thickness gasket material with a glue stick. Then use scissors,
hole punches, and exacto knife to cut out.  Peel off the paper and you're good to go. I keep the "masters" for future copies if needed........If you only need one or two gaskets for a job, you don't have to buy a full set.....
Experience is a wonderful thing...........it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.....
Buzz Lindberg.....sometimes you win...sometimes you learn
Cavendish, Vermont   member: JOM's, APBA, SSOA, AOMCI
creekrunner

Postby ctpdsr » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:22 pm

https://www.aspseal.com/gaskets/Non-Asbestos-Gaskets/

As to your original question: :"How are gaskets made?"   Please see the link above. Hope this helps.

Chuck
ctpdsr

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Postby mercules » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:37 pm

The link to the gasket co. mentions die cutting first as the old way of doing it so they had to make a cutting block with sharp ridges I'm guessing. It sounds like this procedure is as complex as making the engine parts.
"made full size copies (many of each type) on my copier" Wish I'd done that years ago.
mercules

Postby Tom Brockmeyer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:39 pm

mercules wrote:The link to the gasket co. mentions die cutting first as the old way of doing it so they had to make a cutting block with sharp ridges I'm guessing...

Die cutting is basically making a "cookie cutter" to punch out the gaskets... For REALLY high volume, there are rotary dies where one large steel cylinder turns against another that has the sharp "cookie cutter" ridges on it with zero clearance.  This is how cereal boxes and milk cartons are cut from large rolls of preprinted rolls of coated cardboard.
Lake Lanier, 30miles North of Atlanta, GA
Old Mercury outboard fan... Especially the fast ones!
Mercury/MerCruiser,  Evinrude/Johnson & VolvoPenta Technician (After my suit & tie wearing career was done!)
Tom Brockmeyer
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby Ram Jet » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:23 am

creekrunner wrote:....I've mostly worked on K motors...and there was always a need powerhead gaskets....so I had a completes set of new .....made full size copies (many of each type) on my copier. I keep theme in a folder until needed.  When I do, I take the paper copy and stick to it the appropriate thickness gasket material with a glue stick. Then use scissors,
hole punches, and exacto knife to cut out.  Peel off the paper and you're good to go. I keep the "masters" for future copies if needed........If you only need one or two gaskets for a job, you don't have to buy a full set.....

If you need to make holes for thae bolts that pass through the gasket I use "cork borers".  They are laboratory tools for making holes in corks for lab equipment.  They are simply telescoping sizes of nickel plated brass tubing.  A set will be expensive though - $30.00 to $80.00

Bill
Ram Jet

1 year of membership

Postby creekrunner » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:27 pm

https://www.amazon.com/IRISFLY-10pcs-Le ... way&sr=8-9

or Harbor Freight will have them.......even cheaper........
Experience is a wonderful thing...........it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.....
Buzz Lindberg.....sometimes you win...sometimes you learn
Cavendish, Vermont   member: JOM's, APBA, SSOA, AOMCI
creekrunner

Postby zul8tr » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:22 pm

creekrunner wrote:https://www.amazon.com/IRISFLY-10pcs-Leather-Hollow-Gasket/dp/B01L9CTMWE/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=hole+punch+set&qid=1550237042&s=gateway&sr=8-9

or Harbor Freight will have them.......even cheaper........

Yup $8.99 SAE sizes, no metric punches listed. Should work fine for paper, cork, cardboard ...
https://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece-h ... -3838.html
SW Orlando, Fla
Fast Race Boats & cars

"If all the economists were laid end to end, they'd never reach a conclusion," George Bernard Shaw
"Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin
zul8tr

Postby mercules » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:40 pm

I bought the slide hammer kit, it's small enough to pull waterpump cartridges etc. well worth it!
https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogse ... ide+hammer
mercules

Return to John's Old Merc "General Forum"