What Have I Done?

Mercury Outboard  general discussion

What Have I Done?

Postby krazy karl » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:21 am

I picked up a motor yesterday. It is in fairly nice condition considering it's age. It is unmolested with really good compression. It appears to be properly prepared for storage, oil in the cylinders, carb and fuel pump drained. Has really hot spark. BUT I should have run. It is a 10 HP Slanter.

So how hard is it to do a water pump impeller? I have read that special tools are needed. What tools are these? Are they obtainable and at what cost? Can it be done without these or can homemade tools be fabricated that will work?  If nothing else I have a good power head and other parts.

A friend is getting rid of his collection and I grabbed this one for just a few bucks.
kk

I forgot to add that my manual doesn't cover these, it is an earlier one.
55H, 1958 HydroSwift (looks like a 1957 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser with twin MK 55's, 2 KD4's, KF7, Seagull, QD13, Grand Prix Sport C raceboat with 40 HP Tohatsu.  Quincy, Calif
krazy karl
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Re: What Have I Done?

Postby blin10 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:58 am

Look in the White Papers there some papers on replacing water pumps.
blin10

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby SteveC » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:20 am

10hp Slanter?  I know that others have different terms for the Merc's of the 60's, so please explain more fully.  If it is a auto trans motor, then it is a lot different than a full gear shift 110.  Don't be afraid of the 110's, they are a piece of cake!  The biggest challenge on the 68 and earlier 110's is the short shift rod from the lower unit is sometimes difficult to align with the upper shift shaft.  Just knowing what the issue is, is really half the battle.  Sometimes placing the motor upside down can aid in locating the shift shaft.  Also a screwdriver or hose hook can be inserted to hold the upper shift shaft in place while placing the lower unit back on.  The water pump is just a regular style Mercury vane pump.  I have lots of these motors, and they are GREAT!

Steve
2 KD-4s, 2 KE-4's, 3 KE-7's, KF-7, KG-7 rat, 4 KG-7's,2 KH-7's, 2 KF-5's, 2 Mk-5's, 4 Mk-20's, 7 Mk-25's, Mk-28.5, 3 Mk-10's , Merc. 450, 6 Merc.110's 63,67,68,68,69,70, 14 200's, Merc 60, Merc 800(71), & 1984 "D.U." 7.5
SteveC
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Postby krazy karl » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:00 am

I looked in the White Papers, I didn't see anything specifically about changing impellers. Some other things though. I will look again. I have kicker boat duty at our upcoming time trials in a couple of weeks. I was hoping to use this motor. I need a gear shift so my KE7 is out. Otherwise I will have to use the QD13 OMC 10 hp. I am kind of waiting for the temps to get out of the 30's and the snow to go away. Chance of snow again tomorrow.

Steve C, yes it is an auto trans. Sorry I thought that was self explanatory. I've done several of the standard ones, they are quite easy. 7.5's are one of my favorite motors, really smooth and idle down to almost nothing.
kk.
55H, 1958 HydroSwift (looks like a 1957 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser with twin MK 55's, 2 KD4's, KF7, Seagull, QD13, Grand Prix Sport C raceboat with 40 HP Tohatsu.  Quincy, Calif
krazy karl
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby Dave Mckinney » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:40 pm

Go to JohnSMcintosh.com, he has the tools for sale, I have some of these motors but have not worked on them yet, good luck K.K. [fingerscrossed.gif]
Dave Mckinney

Location: I work in Gainesville Ga. and live in Dahlonega Ga.

Postby blin10 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:47 pm

Water Pump Repair on Automatic Transmission Models

Look page two White Papers
blin10

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby outboard315 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:56 pm

Brandon Cocola
Upstate NY
Mark 20, Mark 30H, WA25E, KG7H
14' Texas Maid, 12' Sea King, 12' Sea Nymph
outboard315

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership

Postby krazy karl » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:27 pm

Thanks guys. I didn't notice that there was a second page! Doh! I think I am just getting too damn old.  :lol:
kk
krazy karl
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby AllanF » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:23 pm

Hi Karl,

What model and year 10 Hp is it? Maybe a pic or serial no.?
The early ones are more difficult to work on - not that I have.. The linkage is more complicated than the later models. Just need some patience when repairing it. Tools are fairly easy to make.

A "few years ago" I bought a Mark 28 lower unit (gearcase) from you. I used some of the part on the Mark 28 shown in my whitepaper.

My memory is good but it's short - I think you tried a battery powered pump on the Mark 28 instead of fixing the waterpump?
The powerhead on a 10 is 18.5 cu in.  Bob V has hopped up a few to get a better power to weight ratio.

AllanF
AllanF

Postby krazy karl » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:14 pm

No, that wasn't me that tried the electric water pump. Not a bad idea though. It is an early MK10, serial # 106xxx. After reading the white paper I don't know that I want to attempt it. I have another major project going already. I picked it up for $50 against my better judgement. I am supplying a kicker boat for our up coming time trials and would like a motor with a gearshift for the work I need to do setting up the course and recovery of downed boats. I have a QD13 Johnson but I don't trust it. The carb seems to need adjustment with change in altitude and the hood has to come of to get to the goofy linkage to do it.

The Mark10 is Charcoal in color and even though faded still looks pretty good. The throttle still works very well and looking at all that linkage I am not keeen about messing with it.. I got it started and it runs quite well but I don't think it is pumping but the water level in my barrel is low and due to frozen hoses and such haven't added water yet. But I will try that first. If not I will probably use my KD4 for kicker boat duty. It idles down to almost nothing so it will probably be ok.
kk
krazy karl
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby Dan Smith » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:50 pm

I have the full arsenal of auto transmission tools available to fix this motors if someone wants to trade me for a $100 bill plus shipping.  I no longer have any auto-trans motors here, and the tools are collecting dust.

Can send pics of what I have.
Dan Smith

Postby NJ John » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:41 am

Dan   What would the sipping be to NJ.  I have 3 auto trans i have to fix.    John
NJ John

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Postby AllanF » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:52 pm

Karl
They are not that difficult to work on - just takes more time and patience. I over did it on the whitepaper - it makes it sound more complicated than it really is. I was trying to cover (almost) everything! Check out the Service Manual on how to do it as well.

The Service Manual states when testing in a test tank the water level must be up to the lower dyna-float mount to properly prime the pump. If the motor has been sitting a long time I wouldn't trust the impeller to still be good or reliable.

You can remove the waterpump cartridge and impeller without removing the powerhead. It is trickier to get it back in but should be possible. It is done on the newer models. Newer driveshaft is drilled and threaded for a bolt to pull it out - I used a slide hammer/puller to remove it on my Mark 28.

My .02 cents CDN

Allan
AllanF

Postby dave bernard » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:06 am

Allen that is mostly so.mid 59 and earlier need to remove the powerhead since the pump housing must come out to get to the impeller. also to do it right the powerhead must come off to install the driveshaft slinger and O ring on all years.
dave bernard
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby AllanF » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:14 pm

Dave,

Agreed it is better to remove the powerhead.

The pump housing comes out the bottom - using Merc's puller tool or a small slide hammer/puller. It can be pushed out from the top also.

Yes the o-ring and slinger ring should be replaced. I may be wrong but I thought the newer models with the "upside down" waterpump housing were serviced with
the powerhead still on w/o replacing o-ring and slinger...  My mistake I think  :eek:

I did remove the pump housing/impeller etc. on a 1958 Mark28 without removing the powerhead. I wanted to see how bad the transmission and impeller were before tackling the powerhead.

AllanF
AllanF

Postby dave bernard » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:30 pm

Yes you can on later models but you still have to replace the slinger and O ring. pulling the powerhead is very simple and fast.
dave bernard
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby krazy karl » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:36 pm

Well, I didn't realize these needed to be started deep in the water to prime the pump. It thawed out enough to use the hose to get some more water in the test barrel. Fired it up again and low and behold it pumps. Like a fire hose even at idle. I let it run for awhile to make sure all is good. I think I am good to go. This is a very fine running motor, starts first pull and idles down to nothing. It appears to be recently serviced, new plugs, throttle linkage recently greased etc. I'm happy. Also got my QD13 running well too. So I now have several motors ready to go for my tinny, KE7, 2 KD4's, MK10 and the off brand just mentioned plus a Seagull.  [nocomment.gif]
kk
krazy karl
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby dave bernard » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:40 pm

when I was about 10. I pulled 3 kids sking with a early mark 10 slanter not fast but we planed it out.
dave bernard
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby krazy karl » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:52 pm

I will be using it on a 10' aluminum flat bottomed boat. It should scoot along pretty well. It is an unusual boat, has a very high bow so it catches quite a bit of wind. It gets pretty flighty going into the wind with my KE7. I have to throttle it back as it gets kind of scary. I haven't GPS'd it with the Merc but it went 23 mph with the 7.5 Fleetwin I had but it had a speed prop on it. I have never been able to find anything about the builder, it is a Holt & Van built in Fresno Calif. I Google mapped the address on the ID plate and it is now a radiator shop. Not a big building so I guess it was a pretty small operation. It was built in 1958  and is very well built, doesn't leak a drop after all these years. Every seam has a double row of rivets and major joints 3 rows. Best part was that it was given to me with a MK 20 on it. That motor was lost in my fire.
kk
krazy karl
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby krazy karl » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:51 pm

Well I am at the time trials. We are using my boat as a kicker and recovery boat. So since the motor is really untested except for the time spent in a barrel I took it out for a maiden voyage. I ran out into the after bay for a half mile or so but turned around because the wind has been blowing pretty hard and it was getting rough. About half back to the dock I came to a sputtering halt, What the heck? So between the wind and my paddling I made it back to the dock ok. I went up to my camper and got some basic tools to check the carb and make sure I still had spark. I got back to the boat and pulled the hood and guess what? I found a big wad of insulation from the sound deadening in the throat of the carb. I had checked that earlier and it appeared to be in pretty good shape but I guess not. anyway the motor is running like a top again. I haven't been able to run it at full throttle due to water conditions but it really scoots along. The auto trans is really quite seamless, I am impressed. I have gotten a few comments about the styling of the motor all positive believe it or not. I really like this motor, so I guess I will have to figure out how to change the impeller so I can continue to use this motor.   [wrench.gif]
kk
krazy karl
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Return to John's Old Merc "General Forum"