Iron Fist

Mercury Outboard  general discussion

Iron Fist

Postby mark 55 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:38 am

Received a travelling copy of 'Iron Fist' from a member in Louisiana that originally came from Steve in Nebraska! Thanks guys!
What a read!! This book is tough to put down. I'm at the part where he fixes the sea king mess he inherited from Thor!
Perfect book for this hobby in the wintertime!!

Who's next? It'll be a couple weeks so be patient!
Scott
People in a hurry to get married should be trusted as much as people eager to get elected.
mark 55

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Re: Iron Fist

Postby DaytonaJohn » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:14 am

Little is mentioned about Mervin Culver or his son John who became a Mercury distributor. Mervin was with THOR and became Kiekhaefer's first salesman. He said THOR didn't have a good reputation with dealers and suggested a name change to something with speed.... like Mercury. So that's what the name was changed to.
Culver made a big sale and the commission amount put Kiekhaefer in a bind. Instead of a commission check he was offered stock and was the only non-family person to own any. Down the road this came in handy as Carl didn't have controlling interest but bought Culver's shares which gave him control.
John Culver came to a couple of our Florida chapter AMOCI  meets before his health declined. He has since passed away. He had a 9 car garage of stuff as described to me by someone who saw everything. He does not know what happened to all the outboards and boxes of NOS stuff!
John Timmins, Ormond -by-the-Sea, Florida.  Retired licensed marine engineer from steamship companys under contract with the Marine Engineer's Beneficial Association, a union of merchant marine engineers since 1876. Ship your cargo on  U.S. flag ships !
DaytonaJohn

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Postby mercules » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:53 pm

I was a little disappointed with "Iron Fist" I was hoping for more stories about engineering inventions (Power Trim, Thunderbolt Ign. etc.) but it's OK for what it is. As to Mr. K's personality, if you really read the book - from the day he started Mercury he was betrayed by stockholders almost forced out of business by two wars and treated like crap by Nascar, omc, Brunswick and trade magazines; I'd be PO'd too!  I got another book from my Mercury dealer that moves the story into the 70's and 80's and mentions the Mercury/Yamaha connection.
mercbook.jpg

Cover
Let's fix it now - before we launch the boat.
mercules

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Postby pugsmanias » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:23 am

I bought one when it was first published, couldn't put it down! Bought the Legend of Mercury and a book on the History of Brunswick to read of their ownership of Mercury.
Paul, Retired in Kalispell, Montana. Merc60 Mark 30's Mark 55EL KE4 KF5's KF3 KG4 KE7 KF7 KG7 KH7 MK20 MK25.
pugsmanias

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership

Postby mark 55 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:22 am

Interestingly enough, that one is written by the same guy! I guess that one's next for me!

Paul, what's the book on brunswick's history that you mentioned?
People in a hurry to get married should be trusted as much as people eager to get elected.
mark 55

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Postby OldMerc500 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:56 pm

The business world is a tough tough world.  So many don't understand that.  Successful companies, like Mercury (not post Carl), were made by huge sacrifices.  I don't really know much about Mercury history in the "modern" age.
Kevin
65 Merc500 (wished I still had)
69 Merc40
OldMerc500

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Postby S.B.Marsden » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:38 am

Jeffery also wrote, The legend of OMC  and his first one was about the history of Chris Craft.  I bought one of the Mercury ones from him at the Mercury booth at the NYC boat show.
His wife did the photography for a lot of his books.
S.B.Marsden

Return to John's Old Merc "General Forum"