1958 Mark 78 Control Box Key

Mercury Outboard  general discussion

1958 Mark 78 Control Box Key

Postby Tom Murray » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:37 pm

Good morning everyone. Just wondering if anyone knows if the style key for a 1958 Mark 78 control box is the same as the early to mid sixties style control box key. As I remember the sixties style key has a numbering system that is in the 100-200 range. Anyway, I need a key for my Mark 78 control box. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, Tom Murray
Tom Murray

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Re: 1958 Mark 78 Control Box Key

Postby Tom Brockmeyer » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:47 pm

Tom, I "think" the key number might be printed on the ignition switch (but you have to open up the control box to see it).
If you want to just try a whole bunch of keys until one fits, I am willing to ship you a master set.
Lake Lanier, 30miles North of Atlanta, GA
Old Mercury outboard fan... Especially the fast ones!
Mercury/MerCruiser,  Evinrude/Johnson & VolvoPenta Technician (After my suit & tie wearing career was done!)
Tom Brockmeyer
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Re: 1958 Mark 78 Control Box Key

Postby Tom Murray » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:55 pm

Hello Tom! Thank you for your offer. There is a long time Mercury dealer here in the twin cities that I called that also has the Master set. I also have bought keys from them in the past. The fellow said I could bring my control box over and give it a try. before I go over, I will open the box and see if I can find a number. Thank you again for your generous offer Tom. Wishing you the Best, Tom Murray
Tom Murray

Return to John's Old Merc "General Forum"