Do you ever run out of mistakes?

Mercury Outboard  general discussion

Do you ever run out of mistakes?

Postby Deep C » Wed May 29, 2019 2:20 pm

Went boating Sunday night it was a beautiful night. Put the C in and the 400 fired right up at the landing and purred. My wife even complimented me that it has been trouble free motoring all summer and that I have the motor dialed in. My wife has a friend who lives on the lake and we were invited over, I drove up to their dock and turned the key and the motor kept running. I was a little puzzled but opened up the cowel and choked the motor off. I didn't think much of it I knew it could only be two things. We visited and had a beer and went to head out and turned the key dead. Crap I took the wrap off to get a better look at it looking for the wire that came off, seeing nothing and being a little pissed and I had 5 people watching and dark was less than an hour away I thought I would need to tow to the landing. That is when I noticed that the plug in the side of the motor was slightly separated, pushed it back in completely and it started right up.

When I pulled the fuel can to fill it up I noticed a rub point so I rearranged where the tank sat, I did not consider the lead running to the motor, I also had temporary tunnel vision when trouble shooting. I did recover an avoided the humiliation of a tow back to the boat landing.
Deep C

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Re: Do you ever run out of mistakes?

Postby SteveC » Wed May 29, 2019 2:41 pm

No, I never run out of mistakes.   every time I correct one, I find a creative way to make a new one.   This one sounds rather innocent enough.  Don't be so hard on yourself!

Steve
2 KD-4s, 2 KE-4's, 3 KE-7's, KF-7, KG-7 rat, 4 KG-7's,2 KH-7's, 2 KF-5's, 2 Mk-5's, 4 Mk-20's, 7 Mk-25's, Mk-28.5, 3 Mk-10's , Merc. 450, 6 Merc.110's 63,67,68,68,69,70, 14 200's, Merc 60, Merc 800(71), & 1984 "D.U." 7.5
SteveC
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Postby Deep C » Wed May 29, 2019 3:00 pm

Not hard on myself so much as realizing trouble shooting requires a larger perspective. Kinda like when I was chasing my too low idle issue and I had it stuck in my head that it needed to be richer when in fact leaning it out was the solution.
Deep C

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Postby creekrunner » Wed May 29, 2019 9:43 pm

"Experience is a wonderful thing...........it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again....."
Experience is a wonderful thing...........it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.....
Buzz Lindberg.....sometimes you win...sometimes you learn
Cavendish, Vermont   member: JOM's, APBA, SSOA, AOMCI
creekrunner

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Return to John's Old Merc "General Forum"