How Old

Mercury Outboard  general discussion

How Old

Postby Deep C » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:06 pm

How old does a Mercury outboard have to be to be considered old enough to talk about?
Deep C

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Re: How Old

Postby ctpdsr » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:12 pm

No perfect answer to be had perhaps, but I think the ACBS boat clubs have it about right. Antique class is pre-WWII production. Classic means postwar up to 1968, the last year of wood boat production for the major builders like Chris Craft & Century. Anything 30 years and older can be considered Classic Glass or similar category.

There are some similarities with the Merc discussions I have enjoyed participating with on this site. Some guys are into the very early early stuff. Some, perhaps the largest slice, like the 1950’s & early 1960’s Classics including the factory racers produced in that era. An expanding bunch that, like me, grew up in the late 1960’s - mid 1970’s remember the great Merc 20hp, 50hp and in-line sixes from that era. There were also racers from those days like the 25SS and 35SS.

As is the case with boats & cars, time will bring new meaning to the word “Classic”. Next up will be the early V6’s and last of the inlines from the ‘80s and so on...

Chuck
ctpdsr

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Re: How Old

Postby Michael » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:32 pm

[yeahthat.gif]   good answer

I might add that you can ask anything......... but few of us are as knowledgeable with newer motors  [violin.gif]
Michael
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Return to John's Old Merc "General Forum"