Mk28 Colors

Mercury Outboard  general discussion

Mk28 Colors

Postby mercaholic » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:02 pm

I need to repaint a beat up Mk28 hood but the Owner can't decide the best color.

Is there a consensus as to what everyone thinks is the most attractive color to paint the hood?

I just checked and  NY Marine has all the various colors to sell.
Attachments
mk28.5.jpg
Mississauga , ONT
Canada
mercaholic
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Re: Mk28 Colors

Postby dave bernard » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:16 pm

I personally like cloud white, but way back when, I did one in phantom black. It looked sharp  on my 12ft Aristocraft Typhoon.
dave bernard
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership

Postby Tom Brockmeyer » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:43 pm

The owner could google "Mercury Mark28", click on images, then decide for themself...
Lake Lanier, 30miles North of Atlanta, GA
Old Mercury outboard fan... Especially the fast ones!
Mercury/MerCruiser,  Evinrude/Johnson & VolvoPenta Technician (After my suit & tie wearing career was done!)
Tom Brockmeyer
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby mercaholic » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:19 am

Thanks Tom, that may not work as he is quite proud of the motor but has vision issues so he wants to rely on others.  

I told him of my preference being Bimini Blue but I would prefer to be in a position to relay what various JOMS members might prefer.

What's your preferred hood color?
Mississauga , ONT
Canada
mercaholic
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby DaytonaJohn » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:41 am

What are vari-timed valves, please ?  icon_eh.gif
John Timmins, Ormond -by-the-Sea, Florida.  Retired licensed marine engineer from steamship companys under contract with the Marine Engineer's Beneficial Association, a union of merchant marine engineers since 1876. Ship your cargo on  U.S. flag ships !
DaytonaJohn

Postby BillW » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:46 am

Interesting that you mention Bimini Blue;  that is also my favorite of the Merc colors.

However, there is a couple things about that color:
It really must be seen in bright sun, to fully appreciate it.  On a cloudy day, or a dark garage, it sometimes does not look so great.
It sort of changes color with the sun angle.

Also, I don't think it was very popular back in the day.  I think it was only available in '59;  is that correct ?

There was once a picture of a Mk78A with that color on Bob Shapton's website;  it was beautiful.  I obtained the paint code from him.
RSCN4266.JPG
BillW

Postby mercaholic » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:54 pm

Looks like i will do up the hood similar to this one being Bimini Blue
Attachments
june12.2.jpg
Mississauga , ONT
Canada
mercaholic
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby Tom Brockmeyer » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:34 pm

Here is another blue color that is on an early serial no. Mark28A (pic & restoration by "inlinelover" in Florida)
Attachments
Mk28A.JPG
Lake Lanier, 30miles North of Atlanta, GA
Old Mercury outboard fan... Especially the fast ones!
Mercury/MerCruiser,  Evinrude/Johnson & VolvoPenta Technician (After my suit & tie wearing career was done!)
Tom Brockmeyer
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby mercaholic » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:41 pm

That's a nice blue... :arrow:
Mississauga , ONT
Canada
mercaholic
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby dave bernard » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:17 pm

here is an original color.
Attachments
IMG_0269[1].JPG
dave bernard
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby ctpdsr » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:05 pm

I like Dave's choice above. Always partial to "Sunset Orange" on a "Cloud White" tower, my pick for a MK58 as well.

Chuck

IMG_3364.jpg
IMG_3364.jpg (45.59 KiB) Viewed 129 times
ctpdsr

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership

Postby Fingerlakeskid » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:27 am

Since 50% of every other restored Mercury from the rainbow period seems to be Sunset Orange/Sand Tan, I prefer the Bimini Blue over Cloud white myself. My second choice would be a MK28 done in all Sandalwood such as Dave Bernard's example above. (Oh, wait a minute, Dave got that one from me!) No wonder I like it!
Stan Augustine

Mark 30 tiller,  (2)Mark 55, Mark 58A (2)Merc 200 FGS, Merc 450, Merc 500.  1950 CZT Penn Yan Swift, 1957 Alumacraft FD, 1985 Larson Senza w/Merc 1150,
Fingerlakeskid
KIDS APBA SPONSOR

Postby LarryR » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:22 pm

The Mark28A was the first sloper to come in cloud white.
mark28s came in a vast array of colors, but not white (or black).  My favorite is Matador Red.  I also have one that is Sandalwood.
Buckskin Beige, Sunset Orange, Burgundy were a few of the other options.
little merc shop, Londonderry, NH; 1946 thru 1961 merc restoration :)
LarryR

Postby DaytonaJohn » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:09 pm

This is a good time to repost Carlie Strang's letter he sent me about the Colored Outboard Experiment for those of you who missed it:

Charlie Strang wrote:

As to the multiple colors on many of the late 1950s Mercs, the sales department people did not come up with this program.  Instead, they hated it.

Carl Kiekhaefer was an admirer of the automobile industry and paid close attention to all of Detroit's moves.  Sometime in the late 50s the car people went strongly to two-tone paint jobs.  Carl thought, reasonably, that it would be a great concept for outboards.  General Motors, not Chrysler, provided the impetus.

We painted up a number of outboards with the color combinations being used on cars, particularly some of the Chevy combinations.  We used one of the colors from a given car color combination on the cowls and the other color on the mid-section and gearcase.  The multi-colored outboards went into production immediately.  Some of the color combinations changed each time Carl bought a new car----which was often!

The sales people went nuts!  There was no way they could forecast how many of each color combination that people would buy.  Some of the colors looked great on boats of a given color.  Others looked awful on any boat.  Dealers were screaming that they had to stock too many color combinations to satisfy customers.  Somehow it seemed that we always had the wrong color combinations in the warehouse and our inventory costs went out of sight.

Our sales boss at the time (we changed them often in those days) came up with a great quip----"to sell motors we will leave no stern untoned"!  Think "stone unturned" to enjoy it.

All of which soon led to the end of the Mercury multi-colored outboard experiment----to the delight of the production, marketing and financial departments, as well as the dealers.

We then went heavily into white engines and later into black, the color which has persisted to this day.  The black color came about when we were having a tough time trying to make the new 100 hp six look smaller.  My late mother suggested we paint it black instead of white because she said, "a large woman wears a black dress to look smaller".  We tried black on an engine----which appeared to shrink tremendously.  We showed it to Carl who took one look and said "paint them all black!".  Thus a color previously shunned in the industry became a major factor in the marketing of outboard motors, even leading to lawsuits between manufacturers as to who had the right to use it on their products.

As for the names of the paints on the multi-colored Mercs, they were chosen primarily by the marketing people and the ad agency and sometimes were variations on names used by Detroit for the car colors.  For example, "Desert Sand"----which may have been a GM color----became "Sand Tan" and so on.  There was no deliberate program to match colors to those on the Chrysler 300s which we raced.  In fact, we dropped out of car racing after the 1956 season ended.

In short, there was no grand strategy behind the choice of color combinations or the names used by Mercury.  To put it mildly, the whole program was very flexible, often changing from day to day!

And that is about all there is to tell about our rainbow outboard program----with which I was involved from start to finish.

All the best,

Charlie Strang
John Timmins, Ormond -by-the-Sea, Florida.  Retired licensed marine engineer from steamship companys under contract with the Marine Engineer's Beneficial Association, a union of merchant marine engineers since 1876. Ship your cargo on  U.S. flag ships !
DaytonaJohn

Return to John's Old Merc "General Forum"